Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Virginia Creeper Trail

my absolute favorite part of the trip (besides seeing all my wonderful family) was our bike ride down White Top Mountain. All of my immediate family (sans parents who were stuck at the airport) who were in VA decided to rent some bikes and take a shuttle up to the top of White Top Mtn then basically coast down it on the Creeper Trail. The Virginia Creeper Trail is a old train track that housed the "Virginia Creeper." Years ago they ripped out the track and made it this gorgeous trail for horses/bikes/runners etc.


It took us about 3 hours to get down the mtn barely pedaling at all. We did stop and have a snack at the Creeper Trail Cafe, to have their "famous" cake. Which trust me is NOT famous, unless they haven't heard of Betty Crocker cake mix and frosting back in VA. Because that was EXACTLY what the cake was made of. We were all very dissapointed. BUT I had some yummy chili fries. And my brother has made a shrine in his home to their tater tots. So it wasn't a wasted stop.
Matt and I stayed mainly ahead of the pack mostly because my brothers think that their singing is enjoyable for all to hear...and I must say...I do love them, but they are mistaken. So we had a peaceful ride down. Well mostly peaceful. Matt biffed it on his bike and cut up his knee pretty bad. Was insisting he didn't need a bandaid even though he had blood running down his leg. And since he's very manly and i'm SURE didn't really need one I INSISTED for the sake of his socks. Because he would of ruined them. And I can't have stained stocks my friends. I just can't.

Later on in the trail I was feeling left out that Matt was getting all the attention from his bloody leg so I figured a good fall off the bike would bring some my way. It did indeed. I didn't hurt my knee though, oh no. I got two palms full of gravel and dirt. Yeah they were quite cut up actually, and thankfully I did not pass out. It was a close call but i pulled myself out of the foggy world and snapped out of it. My forearm got pretty cut up too so it wasn't a very comfortable ride down since I couldn't grip my handlebars right the rest of the way. But even then, I would of done it all over again, even if I knew i'd fall off my bike. It was that fun.

SO here are some lovely pictures of the trail, Matt, Me (please ignore the back fat), and in one of them my adorable neice Mary while I try to wash out the dirt imbedded in my skin :)






1 comments:

Stephanie said...

Hmmm, I didn't hear any brothers singing...but I do have a deeper voice for a woman...and I'm not the best singer...Sorry about that, but I had to keep my babies from killing each other in the trailer...anything to distract them! The bike ride was our favorite thing too!!! What a blast. Thanks for leading the way and clearing out the obstructions so the rest of us wouldn't fall.