Friday, August 08, 2008

Windy Hill Farm

Matt and I went to a family reunion last week. Yes, I went to family reunion and did not bring the kids. Sounds kind of strange but seriously it was a very wise decision. The main reason we didn't bring them was $$$$. Then the more we thought of it, we decided to make it our 10 year anniversary trip (10 yr wedding anniversary is in Jan). We were gone for 6 days and had A BLAST! I'll have a couple more posts about this, I took a TON of pictures and did A TON of fun stuff so this is Part 1 of our fantastic vacation.

Windy Hill Farm has been in my mothers family for generations. It was always something I was VERY proud about as a child and still am really. We were there precivil war and my Great Aunt told me we were awarded the land because of our fighting in the revolutionary war. So its been in our family for some time. :) It is the most beautiful piece of land I have ever seen. Before we got there Matt (who had never been there) said he was worried to see it because I had built it up SO much that he had a hard time believing it would live up to his expectations. He said I had made it this "magical place" and he was worried. :)

He didn't have to be worried. Because of course I NEVER exaggerate and it is truly a magical place. He absolutely fell in love with our Windy Hill Farm on Duff Lane. I'm so glad he did, i'm so glad he feels the same way I do, its really hard not too. I have such amazing family out there and its in such a gorgeous place you seriously CANNOT stop yourself from being totally smitten. We had fantastic weather and did a ton of fun stuff (blogs on that fun stuff to follow). We do plan on bringing the kids out when they get older so they can fall in love as we have. Most of the pictures are taken off the farm road, some are taken while we were on the creeper trail which runs on the border of the farm. It is the most beautiful trail ever, and we had some FUN times on it. The river you see if the Holston River, the creeper trail used to be a traintrack but they took out the track and made it this gorgeous trail. WHAT A FANTASTIC IDEA! :) Thanks to whoever thought that up! :)

We also got re-acquainted with some family. What a fun group they are! They are all such beautiful kind people and so fun to be around. I had such a blast and can't wait to see them again. I definately plan on keeping in touch with them much more than I have been. I was so excited to talk to my Great Aunt Margaret too, she is our family historian and what a legacy she has! She is seriously incredible, and I really look up to her. So here is my first post, i have a TON more to show you so keep a lookout! :)














Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

that is simply gorgeous!! What a wonderful place to have in the family.

The Mathews Family said...

I am so happy for you guys! That would be so much fun to get away for a week. I bet your kiddos missed you. Can't wait to get together!
-Jessica