Wednesday, July 19, 2006

The Great Tomato Massacre of 2006

I've done it. My hands are covered in blood.......tomato plant blood. So really they are green and black....

Matthew planted 18 tomato plants, watered them......and thats about it. He's WAY busy with school at the moment so he asked if I would take them over. I'm thinking he also knew what had to be done and couldn't bring himself to do it. I had to hack branches off the overgrown beasts that were heavy with lovely green tomatoes. They were so huge that the plant was tipping over (even in cages) and breaking on its own. So I had to go out there with clippers and hack and hack and hack. I even found a nice red one in the middle of one overgrown bush!

Oh and I found an ENTIRE cucumber plant with 5 skinny scrawny cucumbers under another tomato plant. That should clue you into how HUGE these tomato plants were. The poor cucumbers were all skinny and sickly looking. From lack of light and water that the tomato plants sucked up.

And still my job is not yet done. I have 4 roma plants that have NO cages so they are just laying on the ground branches growing every which way.....thanks Matt.....grrrr. Anyway so I felt so bad cutting these plants branches off at first. But then I actually enjoyed it....i'm a morbid serial tomato killer!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would think you might have had some wonderfully FAT tomato worms also???
To tame the tomato plants in the future you can just break off the lower branches where they meet the main stalk, that don't have any tomatoes on them. I'm having the same problem with too much greenery. Cool when you wash your hands and all that GREEN washes off :D

Mom