Sunday, January 22, 2006

Bread Heaven

I've done it, I've made my mothers yummy melt in your mouth bread for the first time. Its a pure pleasure bread. It has no flax in it, no wheat, there is no extra vitamins, there are no special additives. Its just pure unadulterated yummy fluffy bread. Its very bad for me, its addictive. Its melts in your mouth. But oh the love I have for it, I love you white bread.

Now some of you may be asking why have I waited so long to make this delicious bread when I love it so much? Its a simple answer. I didn't have a mixer. The pioneers would laugh at me, my ancestors would be ashamed. But I have no clue how to make bread without a mixer. So its taken me this long to make it. And I'll have to control myself because I can TOTALLY see myself making this bread like every week. I have no excuse to make it, thats the hard part. Its not the type of bread I could make and use say as a sandwich bread. Its the type of bread you just smear a nice bit of butter on maybe some jam, maybe some honey and go to town. I now know why my mom's recipe is automatically doubled. I will never make this bread and only make one loaf. Whats the point? There is none. It would be total insanity to make this bread and only make one loaf. Total.

It is funny because I think of myself as a pretty compitent cook. I have made some recipes that may be called gourmet by some. I love to cook, I understand words like "steep", and the difference between a minced onion and a chopped onion. But for some reason when I made this bread today I reverted to being a 13 year old girl with no cooking experience. I called my mother atleast twice. I had no common sense, I asked questions that were obvious. I'm not sure if I did it because I was nervous about perfecting this heavenly concoction or if I just wanted to be near my mom. If while making it I missed her and wanted to hear her voice. That the smell of this bread brought me back to being a 13 yr old girl again in my mom's kitchen watching her roll it out and wipe her hands on her jeans. I wanted to use my moms rolling pin, I wanted to have her old beige laminate countertops under my hands. I'm a sucker, I'm a HUGE sucker for nastalgia. And I think sometimes thats a good thing, it sure does taste good.

3 comments:

MusicalMom said...

Now I'm craving white, non-nutritive bread!!! I love my mom's recipe. :)

Andrea said...

There is nothing better then fresh hot bread!!! yum

Rachelle said...

Can you send me some bread? Yum! Sounds good. I think you need to post the recipe.