Saturday, January 28, 2006

My Nemesis

I have a fear, its not a very rational fear...well maybe it is. I'm afraid of a 2 foot tall machine. Matt bought it for me our first christmas together (as a married couple). His mother thought I needed it.. nevermind if I WANTED it or not, I just needed it I guess. What is this nemesis of mine? The Sewing Machine.
Or the dust collector that hates me, as I like to put it. Matt feels guilty for buying it now. He feels bad that he bought me something that makes me feel inadequate. Its just a serious blip in my brain cells. I consider myself an intelligent person. I can usually figure things out, I can analyze books and even write pretty good essays in about an hour or so. But give me a "simple" pattern and I freeze. Its like i'm reading Arabic. What the heck is Shantung? Why in the world would I need 3 panels of drapery for a 2 panel drape pattern? What is a raw edge? Did I need to cook part of the curtain first? Is the other side raw? LOL See give me a hard recipe and Its simple. I may get stuck but I can figure it out (unless its simple white bread lol). My sister who is 10 years older than I am, she seriously got ALL of the creativity designing sewing talent. I think she sucked it out of me when I was a child. Got a huge plunger and put it on my head and just SUCKED it all out. She see's patterns and they make sense. She looks at fabrics and see's AWESOME patterns that go together that I would of thought totally clashed. But when she does it, its gorgeous. I have serious self esteem issues when sewing. I tried to make a nightgown for Adele when I was pregnant. I gave up after I had to figure out how to make collar. So now i'm wanting to make drapes for our bedroom. I love the pattern I picked out I love the fabric I found (even though I can't bring myself to pair it with stripes like my sister told me to) But I totally afraid of that machine. So guess who is coming over and helping (doing it for me) out! My mother in law, thats what she gets for telling Matt to get me a freaking sewing machine for christmas 7 years ago! (BTW hopefully i'll post pics of the finished product sometime this year)

7 comments:

Amber said...

Good luck! I am also afraid of the machine. I'm slowley mastering it though! You can do it too!

Misty said...

I'm with you, Sara. Sewing is hard. And scary.

Rachelle said...

Good luck! I don't sew either - don't even have a machine. One day I will figure it out too.

ShelahBooksIt said...

I feel the same way-- if it's not straight lines and 90 degree angles I'm not even going there.

Anonymous said...

Mwahahah I'm anonymous!!!!!!!

You totally should pair it with stripes, fyi. From what you described it'd be adorable. I can help you find the right one too. Just don't ask me to sew it for you. I'm DONE with drapery. Tell you what..I'll do your sewing projects, you can cook me dinner.

Emily

DANGIT NO LONGER ANONYMOUS

emlouisa said...

Sewing = fright.

I'm with you, Sara.

Lee said...

I don't even own a sewing maching.. I want one.. but I think I too would be afraid.