Thursday, February 16, 2006

Literary Love


When I was about 4 years old I remember my mom sitting down with me and taking out a book called "Why Johnny can't read." Its very old school has a picture of a little boy on the cover, picture was probably taken in the late 70's. But I remember this book. When I think back to the earliest book memory I have its this one. My mom was teaching me to read, I remember the lists and memorizing. And I totally loved it. I LOVED to read at a very young age. Then when I hit about 3rd grade I stopped. I went on a reading strike. I read what I HAD to for school but that was it. Then I went into Mr. Carroll's 5th grade class. He was/is an amazing teacher. He loves English, he loves History. He'd read to us after lunch for our quiet time, and you could just tell he had a passion for it. 5th grade is when I realized I really loved English. I loved the books so much, I loved History and all its drama. And I began to read again. If one I had to put one person who is responsible for my love affair with books it would be my Mother. She always encouraged me but never forced it. I remember finding a series I enjoyed when I was in 6th grade. It was called "The Fantastic Five" and it was basically like the babysitters club but more my style. My Mother bought me every single book we could find. And when I fell in love with Anne of Green Gables. She bought me two complete sets. When I was finished with the series we went and bought any L.M. Montgomery book we could get our hands on. I drank it up, I would devour each book. It was/is my passion, to become lost in a well written book. When I started High School I was put in the normal English class. I did have a good teacher, (thank GOODNESS I didn't get some coach who taught English because he HAD to) Mr. Meyer loved English and tried his best to teach us what he could with the kids he had. The kids in my class were total slackers so Mr. Meyer had us read Romeo & Juliet for the ENTIRE SEMESTER. It was sooo boring and a total joke to me. I could read that play in 3 days, not 3 MONTHS. We read it, then we watched the video for a week. I was bored out of my mind so that summer I took the Honors English placement test. You had to take it to get into Honors at my school. I remember getting my test results a month later, I was completely crushed. I hadn't gotten the needed score to get into Honors English. My score was JUST below what I need it to be. I bawled and bawled, my mother tried to console me. My confidence was shot, I felt horrible. I remember telling my mother, "It was the ONE thing I thought I was good at, and i'm not." How that must of broken her heart! It breaks mine thinking back on it. Imagine my surprise when I got my schedule that september and saw I was placed in Honors English! They had some extra spots and the "flunkies" like me were placed in it. I was ESCATIC. I was in a class of my peers. I was actually a little intimidated because these special kids had PASSED the tests. LOL But I got over that and soon became one of the top in my class. And a teachers aide for the years following.
So to get back to my original purpose for this blog. I am SO excited to share my love with my daughter. And I know she has inherited it because the 2 year old can sit for an hour or so each day and just read books. Matthew and I have caughter her up at 2am with her lights on and a pile of books in her bed. She's memorized most of the books we have for her and her face lights up when we go to the library. I'm slowly sharing my favorite books with her, I can't wait until the days when I can read to her about Anne Shirley and Atticus Finch. For now I'm just sharing my childhood books, here are just a few


My entire family LOVES this book. Its one of the books I really enjoy reading because it entertains adults AND kids. Definately a fun read.













This is the first book we bought for Adele when I found out I was pregnant. I think I was only a month or two pregnant but Matthew and I realized we both loved it as children. Its now one of Adele's favorites and she has the thing memorized. I caught her reading it to Elaine.











This is one of the sweetest books. I believe its one of my mothers favorites. Everytime I got to a big city and see a little old house I think of this book. There is a reason its so recognized its wonderful!










I love this book for the simple fact that it makes my husband tear up every time he reads it to Adele. Its a very moving story













A great book that I had never seen until my Mom bought it for Adele when she was a week old. Its our special book and means a lot to me. It has a very simple and special message.

3 comments:

Rachelle said...

YOu gave me some good books to add my ever growing list

emlouisa said...

I love reading too!!! Hooray for good books!

Anonymous said...

Wow, what sweet memories these books brought back to me. Also, remembering how I tried to find out what kind of books each of you children would like so I could hook you on reading :)

Mom