Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Too Fast




I always thought you'd be more sentimental about your first born. That after you went through the milestones with that child it would be easier with your consecutive kids. BOY was I wrong! With my second daughter I am having SUCH a hard time with her growing up! I think with my first I was so excited to do certain things with her I wanted her to grow up quickly. But with #2 I'm dragging my feet, begging her to slow down a little! I'm sure life if just going by faster because I do have a toddler to keep me busy but I think i'm also aware of how much extra work babies are rather than newborns.


I'm trying to force Elaine to not develop. For instance, with Adele (my firstborn) I had her in the bassinet for 6 weeks, I was so excited for her to use her pretty crib in her pretty room that I put her in her crib at 7 weeks old. With Elaine (2nd born) She was in her bassinet for 3.5 months. Even though I'm only SUPPOSED to keep her in it until 3 months.

When Adele was in her crib, her mattress was at the highest level and the side bar was dropped until she was 3 months old. She rolled over once and I dropped that mattress right away. Elaine is 7 months old and has been rolling from tummy to back for 2 months and I just dropped her mattress down this last weekend.

Elaine is the bigger of my babies. Adele was/is always around the 20th percentile. And thats on a good day. She's just tiny and dainty. Elaine is heavier, longer, and has been in the 75th percentile atleast. So even though its giving my arm bruises i'm having a HARD time taking her out of her infant carseat. Adele was 18 lbs at one year. Elaine was 16 1/2 lbs at 6 months. I have a convertible carseat in our garage waiting for her. But I can't bring myself to install it...

With Adele I was SO excited to move on to the next step that she started eating rice cereal at 4 months. She was on table foods by 7 months and she didn't even get her first tooth until she was 14 months. But she was a proficient by then. With Elaine she is almost 7 months and has eaten oatmeal cereal and 3 veggies. I didn't start with solids until she was 6 months. I hate doing it, its a total chore and it makes her more independent of me. I just can't force her to slow down and not grow!!

Does anyone else have a problem like mine? Am I the only demented Mommy out there? Anyone have a secret formula for making time slow down? If you do you can share it with me! I PROMISE I won't tell a soul!

9 comments:

Mama D said...

Since I'm still on baby number 1 I'm not sure I can be helpful. Although, I am more like you with number 2. Audrey only has less than a month before she is supposed to start cereal, I'm not in a hurry there. She really needs a new car seat, she was almost too long for the infant one at the last check up and must be even longer now. I'm also reluctant to make that switch. Though I must. I wonder what I'll be like when number 2 comes along??

Mama D said...

Oh, and that picture is so sweet!!

Rachelle said...

Oh Sara! Is that what it is going to be like with #2 for me?

Andrea said...

I'll let you know how i go at the end of the year with baby#2! lol She's a cutie!!!

Lei said...

I can totally relate, Sara! You're not the only one!

Elozia Marie said...

The only advice I have is "don't blink"! I feel like all I did was blink, and now the baby years are over ... and before long the toddler years will be long-gone too, and they won't hand out hugs anymore :( Don't they know they are not supposed to grow up!

Anonymous said...

I have the answer but you will think it is lame and totally useless :)
Grandbabies...and in a few more years for me great grandbabies.
Not very comforting but true.

(Mom)

sheri said...

You are definitely not alone on this! I've been thinking/noticing the exact same things recently w/my #2. You'll be the 1st one I'll call when I figure out how to freeze time, k?
(ps. I miss you and hope it's ok I commented here)

Anonymous said...

Very pretty site! Keep working. thnx!
»